Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mothers of Yesteryears - I Don't Know How They Do It

I have a sick little baby at home since Monday. And it reminds me of how my Mom took care of us and attend of us when we were sick during our childhood and at the same time, handled a whole lot of housechores minus the modern technology gadgets and stayed sane! My Mom had 3 children, 1 dog, a home to take care of and also to chaffeur us around for classes and I only have 1 child, a messed up home and am going nuts!

We have microwave to instantly heat up the food, the washing machine and dryer to do the laundry, vacuum cleaner to quickly suck up all the dust and whatnots, nevertheless the internet to read up on remedies and how to sooth a sick whiny baby and the list goes on. We have everything today, yet, when my baby falls sick, everything else goes haywire. Somehow, the 'engine' just stops working. But what did our mothers have in their days? Nothing more than their pair of hands and a loving heart.

Our usually clean and organised home is now messy and almost unsightly. I stopped cooking these 2 days and no home cooked food, except some porridge for Isabelle. My hair... oh... so greasy and scarecrow-y. But I know, everything else can wait and nothing comes before my little precious.

And to make things worse, feeding my sick baby the medicine is a struggle! War! It hurt our hearts so much when we see her struggle. As much as it hurts, we had to do what we had to, for her good.

Now, I pray my little baby will recover soon... very very soon. And I wish I have half the courage and strength my Mom has.




3 comments:

Kiddothings said...

Hang in there Catheryn. It's tough when you have a sick baby. Rest assured with your loving motherly care and lots of prayers, everything will work out just fine. Hope little Isabelle gets well soon. My kids are not well too, common cough and cold. I have to hold my girl down real tight and stuff the syringe of meds in her throat just to get her to eat it. It's tougher with the first kid. 2nd one 'lali' already!

Catheryn @ Pink Bibs said...

Oh gee... so sorry to know your kids are down with the virus too! it must be the sick season again. Hope your kiddos get well soon.

Thank you for your encouragement. Yes... let's hang in there! :)

Cheers!

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Hang in there mummy Catheryn. Fever is good, signs of body working to fight off viruses. May God watch over and protect Isabelle!