Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cooking ~ Mui Choy Pork Belly

Muichoy porkbelly
Served with white rice and fried egg

I 'migrated' home salted and sweet mui choy (preserved mustard cabbage)from my parents' place this trip and I just have to make this dish, to kill my homesickness.


It is my first attempt and I think it is okay and I am sure I can do better next time (see the verdict below).


Ingredients:
1.  Pork Belly - cut into cubes or sliced (I do not have the exact quantity measurement)
2.  200gm salted muichoy
3.  400gm sweet muichoy
4.  2 tsp chopped garlic
5.  1 slice of ginger
*Muichoy - Clean and rinse under running tap water till water runs clear.  Soak in water for 2-3 hours.  Change the water in between*


Seasoning:
1.  2 tsp dark soy sauce
2.  2 tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
3.  A dash of pepper


Method:
1.  Panfried the pork belly.  Once it turn golden brown, remove and set aside.
2.  With the oil from the pork belly (add some oil if not enough), saute the ginger and garlic till soft and fragrant.
3.  Add in the muichoy, stir and to ensure the muichoy is evenly coated.
4.  Add in pork belly. Stir.
5.  Add in dark soysauce & pepper.  Stir. (Leave sugar till the end, add only if the dish is too salty)
6.  Add water enough to cover the pork.  Simmer for 1 - 1.5 hour.


Result:
Me - TOO SALTY! I will soak the muichoy for 2-3 hours next time and perhaps cut down on the salty muichoy and increase the quantity of sweet muichoy.  Probably ratio of 3 : 1.5
DH - Very fragrant but too salty.
DS - Too salty.

2 comments:

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Love the food pictures now! Clearer and classier! :)

Catheryn @ Pink Bibs said...

Thank you Jenny!