Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cooking ~ Cultural Medley

From left :
1. Indian - Toovar rice
2. Chinese - Panfried pumpkin steamed rice flour cake
3. Western - Home made sour cream (to go with crackers - not in the picture)
4. Western - Warm potato broccoli snap-peas salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing and feta cheese

I made second attempt on my pumpkin steamed rice flour cake (kim kua kuey) earlier and it was successful this time!

It is Friday and it is lazy day for me! When I thought of just having the pumpkin cake and a warm potato salad for dinner, my lovely friend buzzed me and she had a special Indian rice for me! Saved my day!

It is called Toovar Rice, an Indian fried rice with toovar beans. She is good with her spices so her cooking is always very fragrant and rich with the beautiful spices. This dish tasted rather similar to briyani rice but with an extra kick to it.


Home made sour cream
Ingredients:
1. 4 tbsp low fat yoghurt (I used Sunglo)
2. Pinch of black pepper
3. chopped spring onion

Method:
Mix everything together, combine well and keep it chilled before serving.

Warm potato broccoli sweet-peas salad
Ingredients:
1. Broccoli (cut into small florets)
2. Snap peas
3. Potato (cut into wedges)

Method:
1. Steam potato wedges for about 5 minutes
2. Add in broccoli and snap peas and steam for another 2 minutes
3. Remove and leave aside while dressing is prepared

Balsamic vinaigrette
Ingredients:
1. 2 tsp of olive oil or vegetable oil
2. 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
3. pinch of black pepper
4. half tsp of minced garlic
5. approx 2 tsp of sundried tomatoes (cut into strips)
6. Feta cheese (preferred quantity)

Method:
1. Mix well item 1-5. Drizzle on top of the steamed vegetables.
2. Top with feta cheese



No comments: