My 3 cup chicken (San Pei Chi)
This is one of the most unforgettable dish I have ever tasted during my last trip to Taiwan. Since falling for it at first 'taste', I decided I have to try to cook this at home.
Bought some nice and fresh basil from market last Saturday and it is just right to use it to make this dish.
The 3 cup doesn't necessarily mean 3 real cups of the main sauce ingredients but the portion and ratio of cooking wine, soy sauce & sesame oil.
Here is how I made it:
1. Chicken pieces (I used 5 chicken drumsticks chopped into smaller pieces)
2. Minced garlic
3. Spring Onion
4. Ginger slices
5. Red chillies *optional
6. Basil leaves *optional
7. Sesame oil for sauteing
1. 2 tbsp soy sauce
2. 2 tbsp chinese cooking wine (I used Shao Xing)
3. 1 tsp sugar
Marinade (for chicken) *optional
1. Cooking wine
2. Sesame oil
1. Saute ginger, garlic, chillies & white part of spring onion in sesame oil till fragrant
2. Add in chicken and fry till skin turns golden
3. Add in the mixture of sauce
4. Simmer for 10 minutes or till chicken is cooked and tender
5. Add in spring onion (the green part) & basil leaves.
6. After adding in basil leaves, quickly stir a little and do not cook for too long as it will wilt the leave.
7. Dish up and dig in
* serve with white rice