I love my Mom's dishes and I am glad I learn a few of her recipe. Each time I make them, it brings me home, close to Mummy :)
Today, I made Blackbean chicken with bittergourd. Can't wait to have my food critics home to taste it.
1. Chicken drumsticks (marinate preferably overnight with oyster sauce, chinese cooking wine & pepper)
2. 2 tsp of blackbean
3. Bittergourd (sliced into prefered sizes)
4. Ginger (sliced or cut into strips)
5. Chopped garlic
6. Chopped shallots
1. Oyster sauce
2. Dark soy sauce for color (optional)
I did not get to take picture of the sauces.
Black Bean from Gulong brand that I used
1. Saute chopped garlic, shallots and ginger in oil till fragrant and soft
2. Add in blackbean and saute for few seconds
3. Add in marinated chicken and fry till chicken is slightly golden on its skin
4. Add in sliced bittergourd
5. Add in sauce and water. Simmer for about 10 minutes or till chicken is tender
1. Shallots, garlic and ginger sauted till fragrant & soft. Add in black bean (Oops, I missed taking picture of this step)
2. Add in chicken and fry till golden
1. Add in bittergourd
2. Add in sauce and water. Simmer away.
Tips: To make the bitterness of the gourd more subtle, slice them up and marinate it with generous amount of salt. Toss to coat it evenly and leave it aside for 30 mins. Clean them up with water and drain them dry.