I try to make something different for dinner, besides dishes & rice. And today I have the calling to make it a Curry Mee day.
Since I uprooted and landed in KL, the only chance I get to eat authentic Penang curry mee is well, yeah, whenever I visit Penang. I love it with cuttlefish strips, coagulated blood, cockles & tofu puffs and not to mention the dark slightly burnt aromatic sambal. Soulful combination! One of a kind and it is hard to find such authentic version here.
Of course, my curry mee is the easy peasy version. I could not afford to grind the spices from scratch. I am actually clueless about spice. Salt and pepper is all that I know.
1. 1 packet of instant curry paste (I used Adabi's Chicken Curry Paste)
2. A handful of curry leaves
3. 2 lemon grass stalks (white parts only - smashed)
4. Water or stock (I made anchovies and dried prawns stock)
5. 1/4 cup of coconut milk
6. 1/4 cup of evaporated milk
7. 1/4 tsp of palm sugar/sugar
8. 1/2 tbsp of fish sauce or 1/4 salt
9. Tofu puffs
1. Fish cake (scalded and sliced)
2. Prawns *optional (scalded)
3. Mint leaves
4. Fried shallots
Others : (scalded)
1. Yellow noodles
2. Meehoon/vermicelli (or whichever type of noodles preferred)
METHOD - Curry Soup :
1. If you are using stock, prepare the stock in advance. Let them simmer for atleast 1 hour before using them.
2. Heat oil, saute curry leaves till fragrant.
3. Add in lemon grass stalks.
4. Pour in curry paste. Stir till fragrant.
5. Add in stock. Let it simmer for another 15 mins.
6. Add in coconut and evaporated milk mixture. Simmer for another 5 mins on low fire.
7. Add sugar and fish sauce. Adjust to taste.
8. Add in tofu puffs.
9. Keep on simmering on low fire till ready to serve.
1. Scald noodles and beansprouts in a pot of boiling water.
2. Scoop curry soup together with tofu puffs on top of noodles.
3. Garnish with previously scalded fishcake slices, prawns and mint leaves.
DH - Woah, like the shop wan ler.... healthier version. Anymore for supper?
Me - I like it because it is not as oily as what we get outside. Not overly rich with coconut milk as I replaced half of it with milk.