Monday, July 11, 2011

Baking ~ Marble Banana Cake

It is the beginning of another long week. I am already feeling a little bored. Then I saw this bunch of golden bananas riping away fast! It is quite a big bunch and I don't think we will be able to finish it before it goes bad.

Banana cake came to my mind. Then I saw this glorious bar of cooking chocolate in my kitchen cabinet and my craving for something chocolatey started to blink non-stop. Thus, ta da... Marble Banana cake!

Dry Ingredients:
1. 1 1/2 cup flour
2. 1 cup brown sugar
3. 1 tsp baking powder
4. 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
5. 1/4 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1. 3/4 cup butter (melted) or vegetable oil
2. 1/2 cup milk
3. 1/2 cup yoghurt
4. 1 tsp vanilla essence
5. 2 eggs
6. Approx quarter of a cooking chocolate bar (melted in a bowl over a pot of boiling water)


Others:
1. 2-3 medium sized bananas (mashed)
2. A handful of hazelnuts (or any type of nuts preferred) *optional
3. A handful of raisins (Remember to presoak them in water before adding them into the batter. This is so that they don't absorb moisture from batter) *optional

Method:
1. Sieve all dry ingredients except sugar and set aside.
2. If creaming method is used, then beat butter and sugar till creamy. (Otherwise, just mix wet and dry ingredients separately in 2 bowls, then combine well both ingredients as posted here)
3. Add egg one at a time and sieved flour/dry ingredients alternately.
4. Add in wet ingredients and mix well.
5. Remove 2-3 scoops of batter into another bowl. Add in melted chocolate into this batter. Mix well and set aside.
6. In the plain batter bowl, add in mashed bananas, nuts and raisins. Use spatula to mix well.
7. Pour plain batter into lightly greased mold. Scoop a dollop of chocolate batter and drop them into the plain batter. Use a chopstick to swirl the chocolate around.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for approximately 20-30 minutes or until the stick comes out clean.
Note : * Preheat oven for 15 mins at 200 degrees but different type of oven may need different settings and baking time.


Result
Isabelle - I started baking before she went for her nap and let the oven do its job while she naps. She asked for cake the moment she woke up and gobbled down 2 pieces of it.
DH - 'Can make some for me to bring to office?'
Me - Very very moist!!
DS - Yummy! So soft and fluffy!





2 comments:

Kiddothings said...

I try to make some banana thing also when I see my bananas riping fast-usually pancakes. Do I need to use a cake mixer for this recipe - I'm very lazy to clean up wan. Thanks for the tip on the raisins - I never knew that.

Catheryn @ Pink Bibs said...

Yes, I have a recipe for this cake which does not require mixer.

Here you go :
http://pinkbibs.blogspot.com/2010/11/baking-banana-oatmeal-muffinish-cake.html

Very easy and fast too. :)

Happy baking!