Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sentimental Snail Mails


Found a stack of mails in a folder sitting on the desk at the corner of the hall. Out of curiosity, I took a peep. To my sweet delight, it was some mails I received from friends. Some aging at least between 13-15 years old! Quickly took my shower and clean up Isabelle after a busy evening and pass her to Daddy to tuck into bed. I then sit down and slowly go through my old mails. Stories of college experience, school day memories, projects, pressure, struggle, dreams, boys (ahem), ambitions, silly thoughts and some quite dramatic events shared in the mails. I almost forgot I had some very great penpals till I saw those mails. How blissful to be young and 16.



Mom must have done some spring cleaning lately to have discovered all my long lost 'treasure'. I certainly hope she did not had the chance to read any of those mails :) But I am glad she found them and kept them in good condition for me.

Snail mails are like rare gem now that we have the convenience of emails. It still thrills me to receive real cards and letters occasionally. Not that emails and ecards mean anything less but snail mails somehow feels warmer and more sentimental. I remember how I used to wait eagerly for my weekly letters from schoolmates to arrive when we went separate ways to different colleges. I even remember I once waited anxiously for a classic cuckoo clock my uncle sent me from London. The feeling was exciting and something we don’t really feel waiting for an email.


I believe there are more old mails around the home, waiting to be found again. I hope I will be able to find time to dig them out.


Since I will be meeting up with a classmate this trip home, I should bring along some of the mails she sent me and we can have a hearty laugh about her stories. That sounds like a terrific agenda! And this also reminds me to send out some real cards this coming Christmas. :)


2 comments:

I'm a full-time mummy said...

We still keep the stack of letters that hubby and I sent to each other back when we were 17 years old. We started out as penpal and then paktoh for almost 10 years then get married, then get Ben hahahahah....

One day when we are old, maybe will show Ben all those letters la.. hahahah...

Catheryn @ Pink Bibs said...

You and hb are so romantic!! Yes, you SHOULD show all your lovey dovey mails to Ben and he can learn some magic from you 2!